Monday, January 11, 2010

SOUPS UP!!!

Yesterday I went to Wholefoods and smelled something different in the hot soup section( yes, I can detect a different soup by smell without even looking, lol). So to my surprise, there was a Curry Onion Soup and when I opened it I was in love. I grabbed one of the little sample cups to fill for me to try. Oh my, it was decadent and smooth tasting. I didn't want a 8 oz or a 16oz, I wanted the big boy 32oz container. However, I had other groceries that took priority in my cart. I was determined because after tasting that, I know that's what I wanted for dinner. So I looked at the ingredients list once more - this time to memorize. I had everything at home, so why not make it myself. That's exactly what I did too. Here's what I rounded up in my lab:


Creamy Onion Curry Soup

3 large onions, sliced*
1 pint of heavy cream**
2 tablespoons of butter *,**
1 tablespoon of green chiles, diced
1 tablespoon of curry power
1 tablespoon of sofrito (click here for recipe)
1 cup of water

-In a saucepan melt the 2tbsp of butter on a medium heat, and add onions.
-Sprinkle a little bit of salt to help draw moisture out of the onions.




-Allow to cook uncovered and stirring until the onions become soft
-Once soft, add curry powder and mix into the onions
-Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes


-Add remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle boil.
-Once a gentle boil forms, turn the heat onto a low simmer
-Allow to simmer covered for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally
-Once done, season to your liking with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.


It came out pretty close to the wholefoods version. However, I think I would like this version even better if I used coconut milk instead. With the remaining portion left I will blend it and freeze it. I can use for a cream of onion base for future recipes.

*organic
**can substitute with coconut milk to make vegetarian/vegan

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I never tried creamy soup before but I always wanted to try it..your recipe is seems delicious and also simple.

    http://twitter.com/yummyandsimple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! loved this yummy creamy soup...perfect for the freezing cold days.... I wanna taste a bowl...right away....

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!

    I like the sound of this soup, so hearty and creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

Cooking BFF!

Food Channel Recipes - 9pack

There was an error in this gadget

Summit On The Summit.